A Shift in Mindset

 At the time I started falling sick, I was leading a very busy and self dependent lifestyle. Living alone in a foreign, non-English speaking country for many years pushes you out of your comfort zone and you get used to figuring out everything on your own. My typical weekday would start with the German language A2 level revision class from 6 to 8am. Then I would quickly get ready and login for work, checking my mails while eating muesli. I would whip up a quick lunch at noon, logout at 5 or 6pm and then step out for a visit to the supermarket or just a walk if it was not too cold, return home, cook dinner, watch some TV. Finally I would retire to bed after doing the dishes, which was my least favorite task. On weekends I would again attend the German language B1 level class from 8 to 11am, clean the apartment, do the laundry, and maybe treat myself to a good meal at a restaurant. I had to troubleshoot all issues on my own, be it a clogged drain or a fixing the hot water. All while taking care of paying the bills on time and filing my taxes. 

ALS threw me at the other end of the spectrum. From living a fiercely independent life, I became completely dependent. Although I was in denial at first, I had to gradually shift my mindset to make this difficult period a little less agonizing. Here are few changes that I have made consciously.

No more multitasking

When your mind is used to running several instructions per second, this was certainly not easy for me to change. But ALS forces you to slow down. It is better to focus on one task at a time because I am always low on energy and a decluttering of the mind definitely conserves energy.

Focus on the the next immediate task 

Planning far too ahead in the future will not help in case of ALS because the probability of things not turning out as planned is way too high, so spare yourself the trouble.

Simplify 

Like a Linear Programming Problem I have come up with a simplified daily routine for myself by minimizing the risk of injury, minimizing efforts of others, and minimizing my movement around the house. This makes it easier for everyone involved.

Boredom is a Privilege 

Variety may be the spice of life but mundane is reassuring. By following the same routine everyday, others can plan their day accordingly. It also reduces the dependence on my communication since I rarely have to tell what I need next.

The truth about ALS is, you need to be flexible. I have noticed that I face a new challenge almost every month, being adaptable to the continuously changing situation makes things less difficult.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

M.I.A.

On the rocks