Be Positive

 A common and frequent advice I get from everyone is to be positive. I am sure a lot of other patients get that too. For some reason whenever someone says this to me, I hear it in Kim Kardashian's voice and I also treat it like just that. I mean what am I? 

An integer?

An ion?

A proton?

A magnet?

Or a blood group?

That I should be positive. Of course I know the potential of a positive attitude in life. But it is easier said than done. Often the severity of the suffering is not comprehensible to non patients. Plus there are lots of situations beyond my control.

Take yesterday for example. It was the day of Raksha Bandhan. It was not a public holiday, yet my hired caretaker took a leave. I mean she is just looking for an excuse to not show up. That's a story for another blog. Besides she informed us at the last minute. This meant making frantic calls to find a substitute. A substitute obviously does not know the nitty-gritties of the job so I invariably end up getting injured, and I am uncomfortable the whole time. That explains why my back is extra achy today. This cycle repeats every ten days on an average. And is the major cause of endless anxiety and restlessness.

For the past two years, I have followed the latest research happening in the world of ALS everyday. Often what seems promising at first, turns out to be a dud later. It's like the several athletes of the Indian contingent who stood 4th and returned without a medal from the Olympic games. I applaud the effort and all, but that is not going to help me when I am sitting on a time bomb.

The mantra that works for me is to be enduring. Stand like a strong wall while God throws challenges at you like a wrecking ball, withstand all the harsh comments and judgments. The truth about ALS is it is not easy to constantly act hopeful and grateful.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Shift in Mindset

M.I.A.

On the rocks